What is C?
C is a procedural programming language. First developed by Dennis Ritchie in 1972. Developed primarily as a systems programming language for creating operating systems. Key features of the C language include low-level memory access, a simple keyword set, and clean styling. These characteristics make the C language suitable for system programming, such as operating system development and compilers.
Key Components of C Language:
- This programming language was created so that Unix could write with it.
- This language has B as its direct mother tongue developed in the 1970s.
- ANSI (American National Standards Institute) officially established this language as the official programming language in 1988.
- When it comes to system-friendly programming languages, there is no better choice than C.
- The latest generation software is created using the C language.
- The main reason for using C as a system-specific programming language is its speed and efficiency, which is close to that of assembly language.
- Program c has a .c extension.
Characteristics of C Language:
The main features of the C language are as follows.
- Simplified keyword set: Use a simplified, easy-to-understand and rich keyword set that meets one of the most important characteristics of this language.
- Clean style: the flow of the code is clean because the language focuses on organizing your code.
- Pointer Mechanism: The efficient use of pointer and addressing mechanisms in the C language has unique characteristics that differentiate it from all other programming languages.
- Efficient compiler design language: Light, rich and diverse set of commands and features, the ability to work very well on hardware, low memory usage, and so on. make it ideal for developing compiler layouts.
- This is a very robust language with a rich set of built-in operators and functions.
- C-encoded programs are fast and efficient.
- A highly portable language. This means that programs written in C can easily be run on a variety of other machines with little change.
- There is a large collection of libraries or built-in functions. It also offers the ability to customize or create your own functions for inclusion in the C library collection.
- It is a very extensible language.
Basic Commands of C Programming Language:
Features of C Programming Language:
Key features of the C language include low-level memory access, a simple keyword set, and clean styling. These characteristics make the C language suitable for system programming, such as operating system development and compilers.
1. Procedural language:
In a procedural language like C, predefined instructions are executed step by step. A C program can contain multiple functions to accomplish a particular task. Programming beginners will think that this is the only way a particular programming language works. There are also other programming paradigms in the world of programming. Most of the most widely used paradigms are object-oriented programming languages.
2. Fast and efficient:
New languages like java and python offer more functionality than c programming languages, but the additional processing in these languages effectively reduces throughput rates. The C programming language, which is a mid-level language, provides programmers with access to direct operations using computer hardware, but high-level languages do not allow it. This is one of the reasons why C is considered the first choice to start learning a programming language. Static writing languages are faster because they are faster than dynamic writing languages.
This programming language van does little by itself. The library has most of its capabilities. The C language has its own library to solve these common problems, and you can use the header files stored in the library to use specific functions.
4. Static writing:
The C programming language is a static writing language. That is, the variable type is checked at compile time, but not at run time. This means that every time the programmer enters a program, he must mention the type of variable used.
5. General-purpose languages:
From system programming to photo editing software, the C programming language is used in a variety of applications. Some of the common applications in which it is used are:
- Operating system: Windows, Linux, iOS, Android, OXS
- Database: PostgreSQL, Oracle, MySQL, MS SQL Server, etc.
6. Intermediate language:
Being an intermediate language, it has a format that combines both assembly language and high-level language functions.
Programs written in C can be run and compiled on any system without or without changes, so C is generously portable.
8. Easy to expand:
Programs written in C are extensible. This means that if your program is already written, you can add a few more functions and operations.
9. Code reuse, customization and extensions:
Programmers can easily create their own functions. It can be used repeatedly for various purposes. A C program is basically a set of functions. This function is compatible with the “c” library. Functions can be continuously added to the ‘c’ library.
10. Limited number of keywords:
There are only 32 keywords in ‘C’. Ritchie gives 27 keywords. 5 is added by ANSI. The strength of “C” lies in its built-in functions. Unix systems provide several C functions. Some functions are used during operation. Others are specific to that application.
Program Structure of C Programming Language:
Keywords that use C language:
Advantages of C Language:
- A C program is a collection of functions from the C library and it is easy to add functions to the C library.
- There are some standard features (such as embedded) that you can use to develop your program.
- Modular construction makes it easy to debug, maintain, and test code.
- It is a highly portable language and is interoperable.
- All 32 keywords that exist as part of the built-in function exist in ANSI-C. Besides that, user-created functions are also widely used.
- This language can be expanded with many other library functions.
- The modular structure of the programming language makes debugging, testing, and programming the language much easier.
Disadvantages of C Language:
- C does not provide the concept of object-oriented programming (OOP).
- C does not provide binding or wrapping of data on a single drive.
- C does not provide a constructor or destructor.
- A strict type check is not possible.
- No runtime verification
- Also, there is no concept of constructors and destructors.
Intern & Technical Content Writer for Programmer’s Academy.